2.05.2010

Don't Freak Out: A Wingless Super Bowl Sunday

It would be interesting to see which day you consume more calories: Thanksgiving or Super Bowl Sunday? Is there more butter in stuffing or wing sauce? How many of us actually consume a vegetable during the Super Bowl? Every single one of you just said 'celery!' with the utmost enthusiasm. And we know the only reason you eat the celery is to get more of that blue cheese in your mouth. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I think it's fair to say that I consume more in volume on Thanksgiving, but more in garbage on Super Bowl Sunday - giving the latter an edge due to overall caloric intake. And I see no reason to stop this year.

I loathe packed bars on Super Bowl Sunday. They're overcrowded, under-served and I can never hear the commentary - and I need commentary. Especially this year when I don't know, nor care, about either team. My only knowledge of this year's bowl may or may not have come from E! Superbowl Girlfriends Showdown, where Kim Kardashian's butt took on Kendra Wilkinson's rack. Needless to say, my money's on the Saints.


I will be watching the Superbowl in the comfort of a living room, where I can hear the game, critique the commercials, drink cold beer and eat my own food. Two years ago I made buffalo wings, which were admittedly easy (oven, Frank's, butter), but kept me from the action and set off many a smoke detector. This year I am taking a shortcut, thanks to my friends in Philly who are experts in wings, if not football (who can back off an Eagles dig?!). They showed up to my Superbowl party last year with buffalo chicken dip and it has since made appearances on ski trips and random late nights. It is delicious and can be prepared ahead of time, allowing you to watch the game rather than babysit the oven, while still filling your Frank's quota. I like it best served with a chewy baguette torn into pieces for dipping, but a bag of Scoops will work in a pinch. Or a spoon (it's been done before).


Marabella's Buffalo Chicken Dip
  • 1 8oz. package of Cream Cheese (Philadelphia if you're being authentic)
  • 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded (quickly poach chicken breasts or buy a rotisserie chicken)
  • 1/2 cup Frank's Hot Sauce (or your favorite)
  • 1/2 cup of Blue Cheese Dressing
  • 2T. butter
  • 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
  1. Preheat oven to 350
  2. Cover the bottom of an 8" x 8" Pyrex or oven safe pie plate with cream cheese
  3. In a large mixing bowl, combine shredded chicken, butter, and wing sauce. Pour over cream cheese.
  4. Drizzle blue cheese dressing and sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top.
  5. Heat in oven for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted.
In other news, it is reported that Nicole 'Snooki' Polizzi was booed during her appearance at this year's 'Wing Bowl'. Fans of the WING EATING competition in PHILADELPHIA were annoyed that the gawdy reality star was given rights to speak during their esteemed event. I'll let you be the judge. 

Her response? The Snook flipped 'em the bird on national television. Classless my a$$.


Go Saints!
- The Heat

0 Comments:

Post a Comment