I scored this recipe from a former colleague who clipped it out of Men's Health to cook his wife an "I'm Sorry Dinner". The story is that he came home plastered and fell on her while he was taking his pants off, not only crushing/waking her, but simultaneously unplugging their alarm clock, causing his wife to be three hours late to work. But all was well and good by the weekend with the help of this delightful dish - which every guy in the office now has a copy of...in case of emergency.
Seared Scallops With Pumpkin Soup
Recipe makes 2 servings
10 min prep
12 ounces fresh sea scallops
1 (15 ounce) can unflavored pumpkin puree
2 tablespoons roughly chopped hazelnuts, toasted
8-10 chopped chives
1 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper
1. Combine pumpkin, honey, butter, and broth in a medium saucepan and heat on low until completely warmed. Season with salt and pepper; keep warm.
2. Preheat a cast iron skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat.
3. Pat scallops dry with a paper towel and season them with salt and pepper.
4. Add the oil to the pan, then scallops.
5. Cook scallops 2-3 minutes per side or until they are firm, brown, and carmelized.
6. Pour soup into a wide-rimmed bowl.
7. Add scallops, hazelnuts, and chives.
8. Serve with a side of foot massage.
- The Heat