11.10.2009

Living Out My Fantasy at the Highlands


If you aren't familiar with the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon, much of what I'm about to say is going to fly right over your head. More importantly though, you are missing out on one of the best love stories of all time. Taking place in 18th century Scotland, the main character Claire Beauchamp gets swept off her feet by a Highland warrior named Jamie Fraser. Think Mel Gibson in Braveheart...with a fire bush.It's the type of love story that women would travel to Scotland to find - but hold off on that flight ladies, b/c the Highlands just came to the West Village.

The barkeeps have such thick brogues, I giggled and nodded like a schoolgirl at everything they said. They could have been telling me I have a booger in my nose and I would have smiled and nodded an emphatic 'yes!'.  But I promise you there is more to the allure of the Highlands than the prospect of shagging a Scottish bartender.

To start, you won't be cramped - with a huge wrap-around bar and a separate room for waitress service, it's big enough to keep everyone cool and spaced out, but doesn't lose any of the intimacy you look for in a West Village bar. The decor is like my ideal livingroom - exposed brick, comfy couches, great lighting, mounted buck heads - put your feet up and stay awhile. Cuddle up with a bowl of their curried squash soup, topped with creme fraiche and served with a hearty, health-grain roll. Wash it down with a fresh and tangy raspberry-Thai-basil whiskey sour - a popular choice in my crowd. As for me - well, I stuck with something a tad simpler and much easier to communicate - a crisp glass of Sauvignon Blanc served with a side of school girl giggles.

The Heat

The Highlands
150 W. 10th St
New York, NY
212-229-2670


Read them now, thank me later

0 Comments:

Post a Comment