12.29.2009

New Ideas for the New Year


It's an exciting day for this food-dork when Adam Platt comes out with his annual 'Where to Eat' Guide. It's like a secret roadmap for some ever changing underground city. A travel guide for my endless journey to discover what this city does best - eat. Today is that day. I have mixed feelings about this years guide. I don't know about you, but I'm sick of pork ten ways, fancy burgers and suggestions that I must try the mac n' cheese. Oh, and harem pants, but I digress. Well, Adam agrees with me on one of those points (au revoir Porky Pig), but I'm sorry to say, big ticket burgers and classy comfort food are still en vogue.
Last year, I put a good dent in Adam's 2009 list, making it to seventeen of his restaurant recommendations with a handful added to my ever growing must-try list. Lets add to the madness, shall we?

Trends in 2010 I'm excited for:


Seafood Renaissance: The antithesis of 2009's trend of going out for staying-in food. For example: my much adored grilled cheese and tomato soup - five ingredients, ten minutes, maybe ten dollars. Sure, it was  kitschy and fun the first time I had a truffled grilled cheese, but not the tenth. And my hips don't lie. When I go out for a meal, I want something I'd have trouble cooking myself. Sea urchin with lardo, cuttlefish tagliatelle and lobster with buratta all fall lovingly into that category. And for that reason alone, I welcome newcomers Marea and Fishtail.

Unexpected Gourmet: Now, don't get me wrong - I love Italian food. I love French fare. And I love whatever American cuisine means these days - but what I really love about New York is the accessibility of other, less common fodder. My wallet may not allow me to travel the world, but I can at least get a taste of it here. Aldea for Iberian. Seasonal Restaurant and Weinbar for Austrian. Sho Shaun Hergatt for what only can be described as 'eclectic'? Yes. Yes. Yes.

Southern Comfort: ...with lime - I just gagged. Okay, it may sound shockingly close to the comfort food trend I just hated on so much, but please let me explain. I'm not looking for another dish of baked mac n' cheese. I'm going to Joseph Leonard for some low-country grits - a dish that's like urban legend to a Long Island girl. (I'm not taking advice from some girl from Long Island!! - Estelle Costanza) Or to the Tipsy Parson for some fried pickles. Maybe Momofuku Noodle Bar for some Old-Bay fried chicken - as I can't even fathom owning a deep fryer.

2010 trends that I am not stoked about:


Second Acts: Revivals of relics and restaurants that I couldn't afford the first time around, pre-recession. I certainly can't afford them now. Thanks for the reminder.

Bull Market Italian: Anyone else have a problem with this one?! Last I checked the unemployment rate was at 10% and counting. I'll stick to the likes of Frankie Spuntino and Max for my spaghetti and meatballs this year, thank you.

Celebrity Chic: Secret reservation numbers and three month waiting lists doesn't mean your food is good. Neither does a group of anemic, teen celebrities who frown and pick at their food. Open the doors and let the people judge!

Wash it all down with this year's Best Cocktails
And if it's your thing: Best Desserts


Cheers to a happy and hearty 2010! Thank you for following...
- The Heat




0 Comments:

Post a Comment